Monday, September 27, 2010

SWITCH ON JESUS

I really enjoy music, from old classical Bach to Motown, from Journey to ROOTS, From Duran Duran to Wu Tang, from Miles Davis to Brooklyn Tabernacle, from to Jill Scott...I love the various melodies of music.  To the point that when I used to say that I only listened to a song for the beats (melodies), I wasn't lying.  I literally collected instrumentals of many popular non-christian songs up until about 2006.  Part of this loving appreciation for music is because I used to play an instrument in middle school as was pretty good at it too.  All City and All regional back in 1990.

Well I have these interesting ideas that pop into my head when I listen to certain older songs.  Not too many newer songs with the exception of "LOVE" by Musiq.  If you where to study the music from the 70's on through the 2000's.  You can actually see the distancing of people from God over the years.  Don't get it twisted (as Pastor Cannings says) the music industry has been far from glorifying God, but you can see a difference.  For one, there is no shadow of a doubt that many of today's songwriters have completely strayed from sound principles of righteous living and don't seem to give a spark of a clue as to their knowledge of what real love looks like.

I apologize if I am rambling on, I have more thoughtful insights to share about music, but let me get to the point I want to make.  I SOMETIMES FIND MYSELF LISTENING TO A SONG AND I CAN SEE HOW EASY IT WOULD BE TO MAKE IT INTO A GOSPEL SONG YOU COULD SING TO/ABOUT GOD IN A CHURCH.  It is a wonderful thing to be able to translate God's love for you in even the most obscure places, or from the most unlikely things.  Case in point, I had a mind to write about something different but as I was half listening to a show about the De Barge family I heard a song that I really enjoyed as a child.  "They'll never be" by SWITCH. (I recently found out why they sound like De Barge to me, another group I used to love) The Lyrics to the chorus written by Bobby De Barge go...

They'll never be a better love, love, love, love
La la la la la la
They'll never be, be, be
La la la la la la la la
Ooo wo wo la la la la la
Oo wo wo la la la la la la
They'll never be a better love, love, love, love


I would get the ring tone just for those words alone. What can compare to the love of God? The songs goes on to say in the 2nd verse:

Please come over here and let me whisper in your ear
I'll say something good to you, you
Always wanted to hear
So real I know you won't regret it
So good I know you won't forget it


If we would just listen to God Whisper something in our ears...

Psalm 91:14-15 (New Living Translation)

 14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
      I will protect those who trust in my name.

 15 When they call on me, I will answer;
      I will be with them in trouble.
      I will rescue and honor them.


I know some couples who have wonderful marriages, but unfortunately we cannot quite measure to God's love

Psalm 100:5 (New Living Translation)

 5 For the Lord is good.
      His unfailing love continues forever,
      and his faithfulness continues to each generation.
(Even to the De Barge, and drake generation.)

THERE TRULY WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER LOVE ON THIS EARTH LIKE THE LOVE OF GOD, BUT WE HAVE ACCESS TO THIS LOVE!  SWITCH EVEN MADE A SONG ABOUT THANKING GOD FOR A TASTE OF THIS LOVE TOO. 


I PREFER LOVE SONGS LIKE "WE CAN BE MORE" BY SHO BARAKA , BUT THE NEXT TIME YOU "HAPPEN" TO LISTEN TO A SECULAR "LOVE" SONG, SEE HOW MANY DEGREES OF SEPARATION IT IS FROM BEING TRUE LOVE.

BE BLESSED
eHailey

No comments:

Post a Comment